Wrapping up my first semester at UT Austin

When I moved to the United States, I had no idea what to expect. But Austin quickly became my home, thanks to the people here. There’s something special about Texans—their warmth and friendliness make you feel like you belong, even as a newcomer. Austin’s community is welcoming in a way that feels genuine, from the cheerful “Howdy!” you hear in passing to the locals who are always happy to share their love for Texas. One thing I’ve noticed is how proud Texans are of their culture, and that pride is contagious. In just a few months, I found myself settling in, feeling more connected than I ever imagined.

Darrell K Royal Memorial Stadium

My first week in Austin was anything but a dream. It was lonely, uncomfortable, and filled with uncertainty. My roommates and friends weren’t arriving until the following week, so I was left to figure things out on my own. The silence in my apartment was overwhelming, and every small decision felt like a big mistake. For the first time, I questioned whether coming here was the right choice.

On top of that, I was thrown into responsibilities I had never dealt with before. Cooking? Never tried it. Basic chores? Barely knew where to start. But here I was, standing in my tiny kitchen, trying to cook something edible while wondering why the stove hated me so much. Every task, no matter how small, felt monumental. I missed the familiarity of home, where everything made sense. That first week was a tough introduction to independence, and honestly, it made me want to give up before I even started.

Things started to turn around when more people started arriving. The city, especially the university area, suddenly came alive. The streets weren’t just quiet anymore—students were everywhere, bikes were zooming by, and the energy was contagious. I started recognizing the roads, which felt like a small victory, and finally, I stopped feeling like I was going to get run over every time I crossed the street. Best of all, I started making friends. It was amazing how quickly the place began to feel more like home.

I can’t believe it’s already been a semester here in Austin. Time flew by, and let’s just say I’ve learned a lot—like how to spot a true Texan by their cowboy boots and hats. I’ve also figured out that dressing up in Austin means a whole lot of casual vibes, but don’t even think about stepping outside without your boots if you want to fit in. And let’s not forget the tacos—Texans eat them like they’re a food group. Seriously, I’ve had tacos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Arizona was a blast over Thanksgiving, but now I’m back in Austin, watching everyone head home as the campus quiets down. It’s December 9th today, and I’ve got five more days here before I head back myself. It’s been a wild ride, but Austin definitely knows how to keep things interesting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freezing in New York: A Dream Come True...Sort Of